Falling Out of Love With Makeup

I think most girls go through the phase of being obsessed with makeup collecting and buying all the time because you want to keep on top of all the trends which then ends up with you having too many foundations that one face could possibly need! I know I definitely went through that phase when I was in my late teens, when I’d constantly be experimenting and creating looks for different occasions.Β  What I’ve noticed recently though, is that I have fallen out of love with makeup.

I don’t enjoy spending hours on my makeup or even how much time it takes to do my makeup, tends to annoy me. I used to love spending an hour doing my makeup, I always remember when I was a teenager, running upstairs whenever I bought new makeup as I wanted to try it out straight away. Now though, to be honest, I can’t remember the last time I even bought any new makeup. The only makeup I’ve bought recently is just repurchasing makeup that I know I love!

Untitled.png

I know that this is just a phase but it’s one that has been going on for the last year or so now, maybe it’s that I’m a college student and I don’t have the time or energy to be buying new makeup and trying it out. I still love the idea of makeup and finding new makeup but I don’t have the motivation to actually buy it and try it myself. Recently I have found myself buying more and more clothes and fashionable items rather than beauty items. Over the last two years I have gotten really into fashion and finding my own style that I really like and expanding my wardrobe in doing so.

I don’t know if that’s where my interests will continue to be for the future but I’m hoping that I’ll find my love for makeup again! Maybe I’m just waiting for that certain product to wow me to find my love for it again. Unfortunately that hasn’t happened yet and I will continue to buy more and more fashion and decor items instead.

Maybe its all part in parcel of growing up and finding your true interests and passions. Who knows, only time will tell! I’d love to know if any of you have gone through this phase of falling out of love with makeup, or if you fell out of love with something else, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below. I hope you guys found this post interesting, I don’t really know what the purpose of it was but maybe just to update you guys on how I’ve been feeling recently. I have always had this blog about beauty but in the recent months, I have changed it over to incorporate a bit more lifestyle, as they are some of my favourite posts to read and write now. See you in my next post.

Lauren,

x.

41 Comments

1. SamanthaDee
    November 28, 2017 / 12:51 pm

Well, I’m 47 and can relate. As you get older I think we find things we know to work and tick with those. I did have a “phase” last year when I decided to overhaul my makeup bag and I did buy a lot of new things (because menopause broke my face, basically) but have settled down now. Make-up-buying phases are very tidal, I think πŸ˜€ x

• December 4, 2017 / 9:43 am

Yeah I completely agree, it seems to be more common than I thought πŸ™‚

2. November 28, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I feel ya on the constant phases we go through! I am currently in the makeup obsession phase and I’m in my early 30s lol! But I have went through many phases like tanning, gaming, and even purses! All of my phases end up being expensive πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚ I learned to just accept it and go with the flow. Do what you love😍

• December 4, 2017 / 4:27 pm

haha yeah they never end up being cheap πŸ˜›

3. I totally get that you’re in a new phase now. Makeup isn’t everything! Focus on what you truly enjoy and makes you feel like a whole person. You’re beautiful, regardless! πŸ’–

4. November 28, 2017 / 1:50 pm

When I have a busy schedule the last thing I’m thinking about is makeup! Sometimes it’s nice to save that makeup time for the weekends and for going out to dinner. It makes you feel like you’re getting all dolled up after a busy week! Xo

• December 4, 2017 / 4:29 pm

Yeah I completely agree, thats a great way to look at it πŸ™‚

5. November 28, 2017 / 2:10 pm

I have not gone through that phase (yet, idk) but anw, we will support whatever direction you go to!!!

6. November 28, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I totally feel you girl! x

7. November 28, 2017 / 3:16 pm

I feel like I’ve been going through the same thing for the past few years! I was really into makeup in middle school and the beginning of high school, but gradually I’ve just lost interest in it. I think it may be because I’m a very impatient person and I hate spending time doing my makeup in the morningπŸ˜‚ Maybe I’ll get back into it eventually, but maybe it’s a sign that I’ve just grown more confident in myself, and maybe that’s what’s happened with you as well!

• December 4, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Yeah thats so true, maybe it was just a phase of loving it when the self confidence was low, who knows πŸ˜›

8. Mackenzie
    November 28, 2017 / 4:46 pm

Totally agree with you! In college I had my “must buy everything makeup” phase and after a year it wore off. Now my credit card hates me a little more since I’m buying more clothes than makeup haha

• December 4, 2017 / 9:44 am

Yeah I’m completely the same, everytime I get paid from work, I’m always shopping for clothes which can sometimes be even moe expensive than makeup haha

9. November 28, 2017 / 5:10 pm

Its funny how our current interests reflect what is going on in our personal lives. I bounce between wanting to be a 5 star chef at home to wanting to try out every hole-in-the-wall restaurant or fine dining place within a 50 mile radius of me. I jump back and forth from fashion to beauty as well. Whatever you’re interests, don’t stop sharing with the world! πŸ™‚

• December 4, 2017 / 9:45 am

Yeah I completely agree, its an ever changing process with how your feeling and where you are in life πŸ™‚

10. November 28, 2017 / 5:53 pm

I totally understand you! Sometimes i fell the same, but i think this is a phase in your life, will pass πŸ˜‰

• December 4, 2017 / 9:46 am

Yeah definitely, it seems to be quite common that it happens to a lot of us women! πŸ™‚

11. November 28, 2017 / 8:20 pm

Completely get where you’re coming from, sometimes things just change and you’ll find something else you love and enjoy!

12. mandimargaret
    November 28, 2017 / 8:21 pm

I only recently fell in love with makeup, but now that I’ve found my core products I haven’t bought any other products! It was so cool and fun trying new ones out at first, but now I’m like okay this works, it doesn’t take me a long time every day, and I like it, so why would i want to change it lol! I feel you!

• December 4, 2017 / 4:31 pm

Yeah thats exactly how I feel, I dont even want to try out anything new πŸ˜›

13. November 28, 2017 / 11:18 pm

I’ve never been super into makeup either. It’s better to go without it for your skin and your self confidence

• December 4, 2017 / 9:49 am

Yeah definitely agree, wearing no makeup often, can actually do wonders for your self confidence πŸ™‚

14. November 29, 2017 / 12:13 pm

I can relate to you. This has happened to me as well and it’s absolutely ok. Just do what you like. πŸ‘πŸΌ

15. November 29, 2017 / 4:56 pm

Pretty relatable, its common to shift phases in our ever so fast life and during these different phases we go through, they help us grow and find our true selves πŸ˜‰ great post. By the way, my name is Tiffany and im a new blogger, but a beauty enthusiast so check out my first post. Also, you can check me out on instagram as well @all_thingsbeauty78 πŸ‘

• December 4, 2017 / 9:52 am

Yeah it seems to be very common when people move into different stages of their lives πŸ™‚ Good luck with your blogging journey, I hope you love it! πŸ™‚

16. November 30, 2017 / 9:16 pm

I go back and forth all the time! I go through phases of loving doing my makeup and going with a full face just for fun, and then absolute bare minimum and natural products. It’s fun to change it up!

• December 4, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Yeah that’s exactly what happens to me! πŸ˜›

17. Jade
    December 5, 2017 / 3:38 pm

I completely understand what you mean. I used to wear make up everyday without fail and then the past few months I’ve hardly worn it at all during the day. For me it’s not so much that I’ve fallen out of love with make up, more that I’d rather spend my time doing other things. It’s also a lot quicker to get ready when I don’t wear make up xx

• December 8, 2017 / 11:15 am

Yeah its definitely a lot quicker to get ready when you arnt doing your makeup πŸ™‚

18. mysimplevine
    December 11, 2017 / 6:02 pm

I can totally relate! But a lot of mine is balancing between toddler and looking good. Still trying to find that balance since I love makeup when I use it, but I don’t t always have the energy!!

• December 12, 2017 / 12:46 pm

Yeah I’d say that would be difficult alright πŸ™‚

19. January 15, 2018 / 3:41 am

Thanks for sharing this! I’ve gone through this phase a few times now and it seems to be related to other things in my life popping up that are gain priority, or a desire to step away from consumer culture. Each time I’ve gone through my no-makeup phase it comes back. Don’t fret πŸ™‚

xo, Erin || Coffee Meets Polished

• laurenellenscully
      January 15, 2018 / 9:45 pm

I completely agree, it really does depend on where you are in life and what your interests are at the time and I’m honestly loving not caring too much about makeup πŸ™‚ thank you for your comment πŸ™‚